The season opened with strong performances from all teams that one would have thought they were watching the championship already.
The defending champion AFP Cavaliers immediately displayed massive show of force as they pounded the newcomer NHA Builders with 90-71 in the first game of UNTV Cup Season Three held at the Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City on November 17. “We need to develop our defense. Maybe we’re just too excited because we’re new at this league,“ said Waldemar Tibay of NHA Builders.
Read More: UNTV CUP OPENS SEASON 3 WITH A STRONG START
Watch Replay Videos here:
>>>>>>>>>> UNTV Cup 3: NHA Builders vs AFP Cavaliers (NOV172014) <<<<<<<<<<
>>>>>>> UNTV Cup 3: PNP Responders vs DOJ Justice Boosters (NOV172014) <<<<<<<<
(Video: UNTV Kasangbahay Posted in Youtube)
The battle for hoops supremacy is on as UNTV Cup Season 3 opens tonight, November 17, 6:00 p.m. at the Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City.
Have you missed the ASOP Grand Finals Year 3 at the Big Dome last September 23? Here’s the video compilation of the 12 Finalists:
- “Hangga’t May Tinig Ako” (September) – Composed by Jinnie Adilan / Sung by: Daryl Ong
- “Awit ng Puso Ko” (October) – Composed by Empol Balbin / Sung by: Bo Cerrudo
- “Pagpupuring Walang Hanggan” (November) – Composed by Cesar Montano / Sung by: Mcoy Fundales
- “Sa Bawat Araw” (December) – Composed by Marlon Nabia / Sung by: Shanne Velasco
- “Ikaw ang Tangi Kong Minamahal” (January) – Composed by Ralph Lauren Refil / Sung by: Gail Blanco
- “Biyaya” (February) – Composed by Meldin Nabia / Sung by: Bayang Barrios
- “Tanging Gabay” (March) – Composed by Arniel Villagonza / Sung by: Rachel Alejandro
- “Kislap” (April) – Composed by Oliver Narag / Sung by: Jessa Mae Gabon
- “God Will Win Our Fight” (May) – Composed by Ricardo Sanchez / Sung by: Jek Manuel and Jason Fernandez
- “May Awa ang Dios” (June) – Composed by Louise Lyle Robles / Sung by: Beverly Caimen
- “You are Lord of All” (July) – Composed by Ma. Luz Lilet Esteban / Sung by: Ava Olivia Santos
- “Panginoon Kay Buti Mo” (August) – Composed by Jesse Bayodoc / Sung by: Walten Zerrud
ASOP 2014 Grand Finals: Awarding
After the Clash of the Three, here comes UNTV Cup Season 3! It will be hitting the court on November 17, 2014!
(Video: UNTV Kasangbahay Posted on Youtube)
UNTV Cup’s charity and hardcourt actions continue as the basketball league opens today its first ever off-season game featuring the legendary “Clash of the Three.”
Clash of the Three
Setting a record in the Philippine basketball tourney, the country’s Executive, Legislative, and Judiciary branches will showdown on the hardcourt of Ynares Sports Arena to win half a million pesos for their chosen beneficiaries.
The off-season match will run from August to October this year and the participating teams will play a double round-robin every Thursday at the Ynares Sports Arena. The top two teams will battle in the finals at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum.
Among those expected to play are TESDA Director General Secretary Joel Villanueva for Team Executive, Senator Sonny Angara and Congressman Niel Tupas, Jr. for Team Legislators, and Supreme Court Administrator Justice Midas Marquez for Team Judiciary.
Media Team, featuring Kuya Daniel Razon as one of the key players, will also join the off-season game as an expansion team.
Besides the main games, UNTV Cup will also hold a 3-point shootout competition for the four teams where the winner gets an additional 100,000 pesos for their charity institutions.
UNTV Cup Season’s Throwback
UNTV Cup is Philippines’ pioneering basketball tournament for charity participated by various government units. From Sing and Shoot events, a charity match between public servants and celebrities, seasoned broadcaster Daniel Razon laid out the idea of a regular basketball-charity on TV.
“UNTV Cup is one of the projects we came up with since we know a lot of people in the government agencies, as well as celebrities, who are fond of playing basketball. But this time, they’ll be playing for a better cause,” Kuya Daniel, also famously called Mr. Public Service, remarked during the kick-off party of Season 2.
The tourney started its first season on July 29, 2013 with Team Judiciary taking the championship title. Team AFP won the Season 2’s championship match against Team PNP. Season 2 kicked off last February of this year.
Team Executives and Team Legislators were first seen played on the breathtaking public service exhibition game during UNTV Cup Season 2 Finals last month, marking history in the field of basketball.
UNTV Cup Season 3 will open in October following the finals of the Off-season game. (Carmi Tongol-Anecito / Hazel David)
(Video: UNTV News Posted in Youtube)
If you’ve been following the Philippines’ or the Worldwide trends in Twitter, you probably noticed the constant appearance of the hashtags #NotoSofitel and #BoycottSofitelPH since July 14. And just like many, you’re probably wondering why.
To start with, let’s introduce you to Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila. A place of opulence, it is a 5-star luxury hotel situated in Pasay City, Philippines. Sofitel is a brand of French luxury hotels across the globe, with 120 addresses in more than 40 different countries.
Some describe the hotel as posh or magnifique — however, its Manila chain has been a subject of criticism and uprising amongst netizens recently.
The birth of #NotoSofitel and #BoycottSofitelPH
On July 14, Doctor of Humanities Daniel S. Razon aired his sentiments against the hotel during his morning show, Good Morning Kuya aired on UNTV 37. The audience picked up and right after, twin hashtags #NotoSofitel and #BoycottSofitelPH were born.
And although the hashtags aren’t always side by side in the trends list, they’re always just around the corner for each other — on a daily basis now.
“During the sixth day (July 19) of the protest, the boycott hashtags reached top 3 and 4 of Worldwide Trends as of 9:17 PM (PHT). Then by 9:23PM, #NoToSofitelDay7 reached the No. 1 Worldwide Trends ladder.”
The Top 3 Reasons Why Filipinos Boycott Sofitel Manila
- Reason #1: For Violating Senior Citizens Rights. In this embedded video clip, Atty. Romulo B. Macalintal explains how Sofitel Manila denied him and other senior citizens their lawful 20% senior citizen discount. Atty. Macalintal, a Sofitel Accor Advantage Card member, cited that Sofitel must still honor the senior citizen discount on top of promotions that does not have a DTI Sales Promo Permit. Atty. Macalintal reviewed that the types of promos under the “no double discount” rule are those that have DTI sales promo permit — which (typically) runs over a course of several months only. Is Atty. Macalintal just being a cheapskate crying for a 20% discount? That’s very unlikely. According to the lawyer, in the past cases that he won against establishments that violated the rights of Filipino senior citizens, he asked the establishments to donate the damages to organizations catering to senior citizens instead of pocketing the sum of money.